Now that you know what the musty smell is, many people will turn to the next natural question: How can you get rid of it? Fixing your musty-smelling basement is not easy. People have many uncertain answers to this question, and some of them don’t even work.
Bleaching the Basement
A method some people recommend is simply using bleach. Bleach is known to be good at killing mold, but there are many things you need to think about when you’re trying to remove mold and mildew from your home. Simply spraying your basement mold areas with bleach doesn’t really do anything; if you do it improperly, it can cause even more health risks to you.
It’s true that bleaching may be an important part of a mold removal process. However, mold removal is more than just spraying bleach on something. It’s a complicated and messy process that might be very difficult for you to achieve. When you’re dealing with mold, skip the bleach and leave it to the professionals instead.
A dehumidifier can certainly be a useful tool during the mold removal process; after all, if excess moisture is part of the reason the basement smells so musty, surely a dehumidifier, which removes excess moisture, can help with that. The problem is not with the use of a dehumidifier as part of the process of removing excess moisture from your basement area, however. The problem comes when individuals try to use a dehumidifier as the only method of fixing things.
The right way to use a dehumidifier is as a secondary part of the process. You should never use a dehumidifier as the main portion of the process because a dehumidifier isn’t built for that type of moisture removal. If you use a dehumidifier to help with your basement’s musty smell, only use it in conjunction with other methods of removing moisture and avoiding it in the first place.