Sinking Concrete Steps
Sturdy stairs are essential to access your home; otherwise, you risk significant instability and harm.
Sinking concrete steps impair your home’s curb appeal and present safety risks, including trip hazards. Such occurrences are unfortunately common and can be attributed to many sources.
JES Foundation Repair stands at the forefront of addressing these concerns, providing impeccable, specialized solutions to restore safety and aesthetic appeal to your home. Leveraging our extensive experience and state-of-the-art technology, our tailored, robust concrete lifting solutions ensure your home regains its lost glory.
By reading this page, you’ll understand the reasons behind sinking concrete steps and how JES Foundation Repair’s proprietary solutions work to restore your home’s stability and peace of mind.
What Are Sinking Concrete Steps?
Sinking concrete steps are the visible depressions or destabilizations seen in concrete stairs, often resulting in uneven surfaces and structural unsoundness.
These occurrences can severely compromise the safety and appearance of your home. They signify underlying problems such as soil displacement or structural imbalances, often requiring immediate intervention to prevent further deterioration or possible accidents.
You may also notice similar concrete problems around your property, including:
- Cracked concrete
- Sinking porch
- Cracked concrete patio
- Cracked sidewalks
- Cracked driveway
- Cracked pool deck
- Concrete pitting, flaking, and staining
Sunken concrete stairs pose significant tripping hazards and impact your home’s appearance. If left unaddressed, continued deterioration can eventually lead to staircase failure, making timely and professional intervention by companies like JES Foundation Repair crucial.
What Causes Sinking Concrete Steps?
There are several causes of sinking concrete steps, including:
- Settling Soil: When the soil underneath your stairs compacts, shifts, or sinks, it causes the concrete above to settle and crack. This is common with expansive soils high in clay content.
- Eroding Soil: Water flowing under or against the stairs will erode and wash away the supporting soil. This undermines the integrity of the concrete.
- Tree Roots: As tree roots grow, they shift the underlying soil and can lift and crack concrete from underneath by exerting upward pressure.
- Excessive Rain and Flooding: Chronic moisture exposure—from heavy rain, flooding, and snowmelt—softens the soil and leads to erosion under the stairs.
- Freeze-Thaw Cycles: Water that seeps into existing cracks, then freezes and thaws, will expand those cracks with each cycle.
- Substandard Concrete Work: Weak concrete that wasn’t adequately prepared or had problems during the curing process is prone to cracking and sinking over time.
Importantly, these factors impacting the steps also endanger your home’s foundation, emphasizing the need for comprehensive solutions from specialists like JES Foundation Repair.
Can You Fix Sinking Concrete Steps?
Yes, fixing sinking concrete steps is entirely feasible. However, employing partial or makeshift solutions will not suffice in the long run. DIY quick fixes and traditional methods like mudjacking are temporary and quickly become expensive, time-consuming, and ineffective.
A holistic approach is imperative to address the visible damage and underlying issues affecting the home’s overall structural integrity. JES Foundation Repair offers comprehensive solutions, ensuring every aspect of the problem is meticulously addressed, providing lasting respite from recurring damage.
The most effective solution is a process called concrete lifting. This involves injecting high-density polyurethane foam underneath the concrete to gently raise and stabilize each slab back into position. The foam quickly expands and cures within 15 minutes.
How to Fix Sinking Concrete Steps
At JES Foundation Repair, we use an advanced concrete lifting technique called SettleStop™ PolyRenewal™ to safely restore sinking concrete steps. Our comprehensive process includes:
- Assessment: We complete a detailed inspection to identify the extent, causes of the damage, and repair plan.
- Drill Holes: We drill small holes—the size of a penny—into the affected concrete.
- Position Ports: We place injection ports into the holes before installation.
- Mix Foam: We mix the specialized two-part polyurethane foam together.
- Inject Foam: We inject the high-density foam underneath the affected concrete.
- Lift Steps: The foam fills voids between the concrete steps and the soil. As it cures, it gently lifts the sunken sections.
- Fill Holes: Once the steps are stable, we fill the drilled holes for a smooth finish.
- Fill Cracks: We also fill and repair any cracks to prevent future damage.
- Maintain Safety: We offer various service and maintenance programs to ensure stability and longevity.
Our proprietary concrete lifting foam is customized and engineered specifically to address your home’s unique conditions. Unlike DIY fixes, PolyRenewal™ provides a long-term solution to safely lift and stabilize sinking concrete stairs.
Why Address Sinking Concrete Steps Now
It’s important to address sinking concrete steps promptly for several reasons:
- Preventing Further Damage: Leaving the stairs unrepaired leads to accelerated deterioration as water seeps into widening cracks. Quick action staves off further problems.
- Avoiding Foundation Problems: Similarly, settling soil under the steps often indicates foundation instability requiring urgent attention. Early repairs protect your foundation.
- Ensuring Safety: Sinking, uneven stairs significantly increase fall and injury risks for you, your family, and guests. Concrete lifting rectifies tripping hazards and structural instabilities.
- Preserving Property Value: Sunken, cracked stairs are an eyesore affecting your home’s aesthetics and curb appeal. Reliable repairs maintain and enhance the aesthetic and structural value of the property.
- Finding A Lasting Solution: Our concrete lifting repairs are covered by comprehensive warranties, giving you peace of mind. Act now to stop damage before repairs become costlier.
Remain proactive by having JES Foundation Repair inspect and restore your sinking concrete steps. Our expert PolyRenewal™ service provides a safe, reliable, and lasting solution.
Contact JES Foundation Repair for Reliable Concrete Lifting Solutions
Transform your home’s appearance and safety with JES Foundation Repair’s concrete lifting solutions. For top-notch services and unparalleled results, contact us today for a free, no-obligation inspection, and bid farewell to sinking concrete steps.
We have been restoring concrete structures like sinking concrete steps for 15 years. Homeowners throughout Virginia, Washington, DC, Maryland, Northeast NC, and West Virginia know they can count on us for personalized customer care, attention to detail, and reliable repair solutions.
Polyurethane foam injection is both lightweight and durable, and is able to support and lift sunken concrete without any extra added weight.
When it comes to concrete repair methods there are a few options available to homeowners, but polyurethane foam injection out performs traditional repair methods such as mudjacking and concrete replacement.
Last Modified Date:
Explore more problem signs
8361 Town Center Ct
Nottingham, MD 21236
311 Central Rd.
Fredericksburg, VA 22401
2569 Quality Ct
Virginia Beach, VA 23454
7940 Gainsford Ct.
Bristow, VA 20136
309 Quarles Rd
Ashland, VA 23005
2033 Cook Dr.
Salem, VA 24153
456 Old Courthouse Rd
Appomattox, VA 24522
45 W Boscawen St,
Winchester, VA 22601