Understanding the science behind how your foundation provides the structural integrity your home depends on can be tricky. However, spotting signs of foundation problems is much easier. Spotting foundation problem signs is the first step in maintaining a safe and stable foundation. Foundation problem signs will manifest in a variety of ways through the interior and exterior of your home.
Types of Foundation Problems
Exterior Problem Signs:
- Cracked and/or Leaning Chimney
- Foundation Settlement
- Cracked Bricks
Interior Problem Signs:
- Wall and Floor Gaps
- Drywall Cracks
Signs of Foundation Problems
Why Early Detection Matters
- The problem will get worse – As with most problems, if you wait too long, the problem becomes greater and more expensive to repair.
- Resale Value – Just think about it, who wants to buy a home with a bad foundation?
- Appearance – Foundation cracks are not pretty and their unsightliness has damaging effects on your home’s curb appeal.
- Door and Window Operation – As your foundation fails to hold the house where it should, doors and windows will begin to sink, settle, and move, causing them to jam and stick.
- Water Intrusion – Cracks caused by foundation problems let water and moisture in, damaging your living space in a variety of ways.
- Safety – Houses are built to be unilaterally supported by your home’s foundation. As one area fails, other areas of your home will fail as well. So, having an unstable foundation is dangerous because either your entire foundation will collapse or chunks of brick veneer can fall off the house.
- Critters – Insects and rodents love cracks in your home because it gives them a nice new home.