How To Dry Out A Wet Crawl Space
How To Dry Out A Wet Crawl Space
A wet crawl space can lead to a variety of health and safety problems in your home. These can Include mold growth, rotted floor joists and pest invasions. The best way to avoid the headaches caused by these problems is to dry out and seal your crawl space, which can be done in four steps.
Four Steps to a Dry Crawl Space:
1) Stop water from entering the crawl space.
- Inspect your crawl space foundation for cracks to see if they’re the water source. If you find any foundation cracks, call in a professional since those could be a sign of a structural problem.
- Repair any leaks and insulate cold water pipes (this will prevent condensation).
2) Dry out the crawl space by removing the moisture source and puddles.
- Check grading, drainage and gutters to make sure they’re not contributing to your wet crawl space.
3) Clean-up the crawl space.
- Replace wet insulation.
- Remove debris.
- Scrub mold off of any surfaces. Now, this is a job that’s typically best left to the professionals since various safety precautions need to be put in place before and during mold removal.
- Beware of rodent infestations. Rodent droppings can contain harmful bacteria and viruses.
- If there’s asbestos, call in a professional!
4) Keep moisture out of your crawl space with crawl space encapsulation.
- Install a sump pump to remove any excess moisture, if needed.
- Lay a thick, 20mil vapor barrier, like CleanSpace, over the floor and up the wall. Do not cover the vapor barrier with gravel or dirt, it will prevent you from seeing if any new puddles form from a plumbing leak.
- Install an energy-efficient crawl space dehumidifier to keep the space dry.
- Condition the crawl space air.
If you come across mold, wood rot, signs of a rodent or insect infestation or asbestos then call in the experts.
Are You Looking For Local Crawl Space Contractors In Virginia, DC, Maryland, or Northeastern North Carolina?
At JES Foundation Repair our team of in-house crawl space experts have warranted solutions for crawl spaces and foundations of all types.
If you would like a free quote, we’re ready to help you! Call or e-mail us today to schedule an on-site consultation and written quote!
We’re proud to serve all of Hampton Roads, from Virginia Beach throughout Williamsburg and surrounding areas; Northern Virginia, DC, and Southern Maryland. View a complete list of our service area here.
The Experts at JES can Help!
If you’re not sure of the source of your crawl space problem, give us a call at 866-370-4816, and schedule a free inspection. We’ll find out the cause of the problem and help you find the perfect solution.
We now have a crawl space to be proud of and feel very secure that we will not have any future problems. Pauline and I will not hesitate in recommending your company to anybody. We thank you for your services.
~ Burt & Pauline S., Williamsburg, VA
Get Your Free Homeowner’s Guide!
Our Homeowner’s Guide to Crawl Space Repair is your resource for learning about why you have crawl space problems, and what to look for to see if you have a problem.
Request your free crawl space repair inspection and download your own copy of the e-book immediately, as our thanks for putting your trust in JES.